The Sustainable Design Assessment Team (SDAT) visited the Eagle River Valley Sept. 21 - 23, 2009, to study opportunities for creating a model sustainable resort community in Vail, Minturn, Avon and the Eagle Corridor on Colorado’s Western Slope. The SDAT addressed the vital need for the development of a sustainable resort community that improves the economic and environmental health of Eagle River Valley (ERV).
During the visit, a group of professionals from around the country listened to the community during meetings with key stakeholders and at a public forum. The team included six experts in the areas of planning, governance, sustainability and transportation. Their three days of intensive research culminated in a community forum where they provided recommendations for the future of the valley. To learn more about the members of the SDAT team, click here
The final presentation from the SDAT team included two over-arching recommendations intended to enhance collaboration and unity among the communities of the valley: create a non-profit, non-governmental organization or coalition to address issues that are key to all of the valley communities; and conduct a regional summit to lay out a vision framework for the future of the valley. The full presentation and be found here
During the next two months, the team will prepare a full, final SDAT report. The findings in the final presentation will be expanded and more specific details about how to achieve a model, sustainable mountain community will be laid out. The report will be posted to this site as soon as it is available.
If you are a member of the media who is interested in learning more about the SDAT process, download one of the SDAT press releases, read an article or view one of the interviews below to find out more:
- Nov. 5, 2009: AIA Angle - Regional Governance and Collaboration Key to Sustainability in Eagle River Valley
- Sept. 30, 2009: Chris Green, AIA, Follow-Up Interview on Good Morning Vail
- Sept. 23, 2009: Chris Green, AIA, Interview on Good Morning Vail
- Sept. 21, 2009: Vail Daily - Experts Look to Vail Valley's Future
- Sept. 21, 2009: Chris Green, AIA, and Bob Yakas, AIA, on Good Morning Vail
- Sept. 15, 2009: Press Release - Sustainable Design Assessment Team To Develop Recommendations For The Eagle River Valley
- May 29, 2009: Press Release - AIA Colorado West Schedules Initial Visit for Eagle River Valley Sustainable Design Assessment Team
- April 1, 2009: Press Release - Model Resort Sustainability Study Awarded to AIA Colorado West and Eagle River Valley
The SDAT was awarded to AIA Colorado West and Eagle River Valley by AIA’s Center for Communities by Design
, a national forum dedicated to positively influencing the quality of life in our nation’s communities. Information relating to this year’s SDAT recipients and the SDAT program also is available from AIA by downloading their press release
. AIA awarded 10 SDAT grants to communities in the United States in 2009.
Partners and Supporters
AIA Colorado West gratefully acknowledges the organizations who helped make the SDAT possible: