Zoning Code Archive
About AIA Denver's Review of the New Zoning Code
Jan. 20, 2011: The City of Denver released the final draft of its form-based zoning code. Denver is the first large city in the country to undertake a complete reformatting of its zoning code and associated zoning map under a "form-based” and "context-based” approach. This code has a significant impact on how architects practice in the City of Denver.
The AIA Denver board of directors and two AIA Denver committees reviewed the new code closely. A series of meetings were held with AIA Denver members, allied professionals and organizations, the Denver Zoning Code Task Force, and the Community Planning and Development Department.
Any member who has had a recent or current project located in the City
of Denver is asked to test this project under the new code and report
findings to the chapter.
AIA Denver Zoning Code Updates:
- June 22, 2010: City Council Unanimously Approves New Denver Zoning Code
- April 24, 2010: Planning Board Recommends Adoption of New Code
- Feb. 6, 2010: Timeline for Adoption of the New Denver Zoning Code Postponed
Position Statements, Letters and Reports
- June 14, 2010: AIA Denver Offers Support for New Denver Zoning Code - A letter to Denver City Council
- May 10, 2010: AIA Denver Housing Committee Zoning Code Report - A review of AIA Denver's involvment in the code review process
- April 16, 2010: AIA Denver Offers Support for New Denver Zoning Code - A letter to Denver Community Planning and Development
- Dec. 15, 2009: AIA Denver's Involvement in Reviewing the New Denver Zoning Code Successful (Press Release)
- Nov. 12, 2009: AIA Denver Actively Involved in Reviewing the New Denver Zoning Code (Press Release)
- Nov. 10, 2009: AIA Denver Educational Meeting on Draft Three of the Code
- Oct. 27, 2009: Coalition Letter to the Honorable Jeanne Robb AIA Denver worked with several organizations and the Downtown Denver Partnership to express concerns about the timeline for adoption of the the new code.
- Oct. 13, 2009: Coalition Letter to Community Planning and Development AIA Denver worked with several allied organizations to speak as a collective voice in requesting an extension of the review period for the new code.
- Oct. 11, 2009: AIA Denver Zoning Code Review Coalition Report Find out what new developments have taken place and learn about the committee's activities as they continue to work on behalf of the chapter to review the code.
- Sept. 24, 2009: AIA Denver Board of Directors' Letter to Denver City Council
- Sept. 24, 2009: AIA Denver Board of Directors' Letter to Community Planning & Development
- July 17, 2009: AIA Denver Board of Directors' Letter to Peter Park
- April 28, 2008: AIA Denver Board of Directors' Position Statement on Northwest Denver Rezoning
- March 8, 2008: AIA Denver Board of Directors' Letter to the Denver Zoning Task Force
For more information, please contact Cathy Rosset.